Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Why I Want to Become a Black Belt - Peter Sheng

Why I Want to Become a Black Belt

A reason why I want to become a black belt is because it is a life accomplishment and a milestone. My mom said I should stick with karate and after trying it, I enjoyed it and continue to do karate. My friend from school was actually the one who recommended me to this place. Karate taught me to keep trying and not to give up. So far I have stuck with karate and I am glad I did. My goal was to become a black belt. Becoming a black belt means you are no longer an amateur and are experienced. People would not bully me if they knew I was a black belt. Becoming a black belt would make me feel accomplished and feel like I have something that I am good at. Karate is a sport that you can continue to do as you grow older. It helps protect you and your friends and makes you stronger physically and mentally. I have grown more disciplined doing the karate program and I have grown stronger physically. If I ever was having a bad day, after going to karate, my day would become 10 times better. I am not offended anymore when people call me names because the instructors playfully called me names. My temper was more controlled because I learned self-control during sparring. My respect for others has been shown a lot more now because in karate you must say yes sir, no sir, yes ma’am, and no ma’am. I used to not be very respectful but after coming to karate I even say yes sir, no sir, yes ma’am, and no ma’am at school now. Becoming a black belt means I can help teach the younger students and help them with anything. I used to not like to spar and would hope to not spar that day because I was sometimes put against really tough people but one day I realized I would have to do it if I wanted to be a black belt so I tried to have fun with it. I started laughing with friends during sparring and trying to make it more fun. I have learned that brute strength is not useful without skill and technique. Technique is very important when board breaking. During testing I have always been nervous about board breaking and got the butterflies, but it has turned out to be not that bad. The sparring has always worn me out the most, while the form has been the most nerve-racking since it is the beginning of testing. During testing week I would usually come for often than usual. This helped me prepare for testing. I have made many close friends from attending karate. Karate has made my life full of happiness and I enjoy every day. I have discovered more about myself like that I used to not be respectful. I wish that I had started karate earlier so I could have enjoyed this earlier.

By: Peter Sheng


No comments:

Post a Comment