Thursday, August 20, 2015

Why do I want to become a black belt? William (Will) Mize


William (Will) MizeWhy do I want to become a black belt?

I first started doing martial arts at the age of 8, at Turners Karate School. From that point I knew that I wanted to be a black belt. But alas, at the young age, I lacked the focus, control and discipline to do so. I quit very early, never making it past orange belt. Years went by and I never considered doing martial arts again, until I met Hunter Bushnell. I saw the control and discipline he seemed to posses, which is something most 7th graders didn’t have. He then explained how he had been doing Taekwondo for years, and was a first-degree black belt. From that moment I realized I wanted the same skill and discipline that he possessed.

I talked my parents into letting me join Taekwondo at the beginning of my second semester 8th grade year. Immediately I loved going to class and looked forward to it every single day. Everything about class was enjoyable, from the atmosphere provided by the people, to the exhausting exercise we received. I felt at home around everyone, and knew I wanted to continue working towards my black belt and further for as long as I could.

After earning my back belt, I wish to eventually become an instructor and continue to do Taekwondo for as long as I can. There I an innate respect for those who are well versed enough in a martial art to be able to teach it. I hope earning my black belt and eventually becoming an instructor will help me achieve that respect from my peers and others around me.

Texas A&M University has their own Taekwondo team that I wish to join as freshmen my first year attending. I hope to compete to better both myself and my teammates, while supporting the school's name.

Taekwondo is phenomenal in the sense that it is something you can do at almost any age throughout all of your life. Furthermore, as you better yourself physically you also do so mentally. This is apparent in the way all students and instructors treat one another. No matter what your age you are either sir or ma’am, and are treated with respect. To me, a black belt student not only has this respect, but has proven they deserve it.

I have worked for two and a half years toward this testing, and have been determined to get to this point from the very beginning. I want to become a black belt so I can further better myself both physically and mentally, while helping my peers along the way. To me a black belt represents the tenants of Taekwondo; Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control, and Indomitable Spirit. These are tenants I’ve been working to improve for within myself, and earning my black belt is a representation of that work.

No comments:

Post a Comment