Friday, October 17, 2014

David Dicken Jr Black Belt Essay 10/16/14



David Dicken Jr 

Why I Want to Be a Black Belt



Black Belt Essay
I want to be a BLACK BELT!! My name is David Dicken Jr and I am so happy that I have made it this far in Karate. In my essay I am going to tell you a few reasons why I want to be a Black Belt. I am also going to tell you what it means to me to be a Black Belt. I have been doing Karate at Strickland’s Tae Kwon Do for two and a half years.
            I want to be a Black Belt because I have earned all my belts through hard work and determination. I was having trouble earning my Senior Brown Belt and I could not break the boards but I kept trying and I practiced a lot. This testing will be my last time breaking plastic boards. I never gave up and now I am more confident in breaking my boards. I am ready for more hard work like breaking wood and more forms.
I have learned that Tae Kwon Do is not only a physical sport but also a mental sport. When I first started Tae Kwon Do I thought I was going to just get to fight. In the last few years all my instructors have taught me that Karate is not for fighting.  I have learned to use my brain and only use what I have learned for defending myself. I learned to help myself against bullying and how to use nun chucks. I went to a class to help me if someone ever tries to take me. Mr Strickland has taught me to focus on what I’m doing and to use my mind instead of my foot when I’m breaking boards.
            Becoming a Black Belt means that I have learned to beat many challenges. I have learned how difficult it is to memorize a lot of forms. Each form is harder than the one before it. It has also been a challenge for me to learn the different sparing combinations. Before Tae Kwon Do I thought punching and kicking was all you have to do in Karate. Now I know that there is a lot more to it than just kicking and punching. Some of the difficult kicking techniques are the butterfly kick, the jump spin side kick, and the 360 side kick. Some of the difficult hand techniques are the elbow strike, and the knife hand strike.   

I cannot wait to become a Black Belt. I have not quit since I started as a White Belt and now I’m a Sr Red Belt. Being in Tae Kwon Do is a part of my life now. I have become a hard worker. I have learned that Tae Kwon Do is not just about fighting kids. I have to use my brain to make good decisions.  I have to be respectful to everyone. I also know there are always new challenges in Karate. I am happy that I have succeeded this far and I cannot wait to see the new forms and kicks that my instructors still have to teach me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment