Sunday, October 19, 2014

"I Finally Realized How you Do It" ~ By: Juanita Clements





Recently I had a consultant tell me “I finally realized how you do it”.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  She went on to tell me that she had started an exercise program that incorporated punches.  At first she was hesitant to hit anything.  Girls are taught not to hit.  Girls are taught to be nice and nurturing.

Once the consultant got over having to punch a bag, she had her moment of realization - “how I do it”.  In our daily interactions, we handle some highly stressful situations.  I never get the easy cases with the simple solutions.  My partner, the consultant, realized that it is my taekwondo background that keeps me focused and calm in the most stressful of situations. 

To put it mildly, martial arts has put me in some stressful situations: being pinned down by a big ugly guy; having to defend myself from a kneeling position; having to fight off two attackers.  I have been bruised from head to toe.  Yes it was hard, but after much training, it has positively impacted many aspects of my life.


From personal experience I can tell you that it is hard for me to set aside time for taekwondo.  I always put other peoples’ needs before my own.  But, this is the one thing in my life that I do just for me.  It is my time to clear my mind, release stress, and challenge myself.   Ladies, I encourage you to come try a taekwondo class or attend a clinic.  Step out of your comfort zone and attend the December 6th DAAB course.  It won’t be easy, but it will be rewarding!

Juanita Clements

No comments:

Post a Comment