Sunday, October 26, 2014

Nithilan Maanidhii - Why I Want to Be a Black Belt and What Does it Mean to Me? 10/24/14


The Black Belt is the highest belt in Taekwondo. I want to be a black belt because it makes me feel proud of myself after all these years of trying my best for about 15 belts in Taekwondo. I will remember my memories from my white to red belts and they will be stored in my black belt. Whenever I put it on, I feel a sense of satisfaction that I made it through the long journey of Taekwondo and finally achieved something that only five percent of people that do Taekwondo achieve.
When Mr. Strickland first gave me the belt and certificate, and I shook everybody’s hands, I was very, very happy. I don’t remember being that happy in my life. All I could think of was, “Wow, I can’t believe it that I finally got what is most important to me in Taekwondo- receiving a black belt from my instructor and trying hard to get it.”
Even though it is “only” a probationary black belt, getting it was a huge milestone in my life that I won’t forget. I know I will try even harder to earn my recommended and decided black belts. Once I get my decided black belt, I will look back and remember the day I was handed my very own new probationary black belt.
Another reason I want to wear a black belt around my waist is because it makes me feel confident, like I can accept any challenge, can do anything, and do it very well. Kids at school sometimes brag about how they got their black belt, and I don’t blame them. If you got a black belt, you would want to brag about it. That’s another advantage of a black belt- having bragging rights.
I got my probationary black belt on October 22, two days before my birthday, October 24. I like to think of my black belt as a birthday gift from Mr. Strickland and everybody else that I earned for doing my best and working hard in class and at home.
My sister also practices taekwondo, and she just started a few weeks ago as a white belt. Since I am now a black belt and have gone through all the colored belt forms, I can teach her (what I remember of) the white belt form. That is another reason to be a black belt. You are looked up to by younger kids of lower ranks and sometimes even older kids of lower ranks look up to you. When you reach the level of decided black belt, you can become a trainee instructor, teach the kids their form and help them improve on it.
I understand why probationary black belt has a white stripe, why recommended black belt has a red stripe, and why decided black belt is full black. Probationary black belt has a white stripe to show that you are a black belt, but you are still the lowest rank of black belt. Recommended black belt has a red stripe down the middle to show you have come a long way to get this rank. Decided black belt is all black to show you are officially a black belt.
The reason I want to be a black belt most is that I feel like I can be faced with any challenge and overcome it, no matter what the circumstance or how hard it is. Being a black belt is a big commitment, and I want to honor that commitment as long as I can.

~Nithilan Maanidhii



No comments:

Post a Comment