Thursday, April 2, 2015

Caleb Capek's trip to Mr. Miller's TKD

Assisting with Testing at Mr. Miller’s TKD
By Caleb Capek  4/2/15

I’ve been an instructor at Strickland’s TKD for two years now, and really do enjoy helping in class and teaching others.  Being an instructor has given me an additional perspective on how to improve my own taekwondo skills as well.  Additionally, it assists me with how to help others even outside of taekwondo.
When Mr. Miller asked Mr. Strickland for instructors to assist him at his school with testing, Mr. Strickland told me he thought I was ready and would do great.  I was nervous because I’ve never gone to another school to help before, and learned that I had to perform a form and breaking demonstration.  I didn’t want to disappoint anyone by not performing my best.  After conversations with my mom and Mr. Strickland I realized that just doing my best was enough. 
We arrived at the school on March 17th and I noticed that I was the highest ranking belt there, next to Mr. Miller.  That made me feel better!  I immediately began helping the students practicing their forms so they could be ready to test.  After I helped them I started warming up myself.  Mr. Miller helped me on a couple parts of my own form because I was nervous.  Once testing began I started to really enjoy myself.  I loved scoring because I think that’ fun!  It was interesting to see how another school’s students performed at testing. 
Mr. Miller had me assist with sparring.  I was surprised to see that even white belts had gear and sparred at his school.  I am used to helping others with sparring and really enjoy it, but was in a situation where I had to remain in control when a white belt that I was sparring with was not.  It was a good lesson learned on how staying in control is necessary to protect yourself, your opponent, and the spectators.
Then it was my turn to perform my form and breaks.  Everybody thought my form was really good.  Even Mr. Miller was impressed.  Next I broke two boards.  I broke on my first try using an elbow strike and on my second try using a jump side kick. 

I’m very happy that I got the chance to go to another school and help out. It was a good experience helping others and learning to overcome my nerves. 




No comments:

Post a Comment