Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Why I Want to Be a Black Belt - Gabby Rice


Why I Want to Be a Black Belt - Gabby Rice

My name is Gabrielle Rice and I want to be a black belt. I have been at Mr. Strickland’s taekwondo studio all my life! When I was small, I would watch my brother, CJ. CJ has been doing taekwondo since he was four. He has been at Mr. Strickland’s taekwondo studio since he was five. CJ will be 12 on December 20, 2015.  CJ is a black belt and an instructor. I love my brother. He and Mr. Strickland and the other instructors have taught me a lot of things. Watching them has made me want to be a black belt too. Being a black belt is a huge responsibility. You have to be ready to put in the work and be an example to others. Being a black belt is a privilege and honor. Not many people get the opportunity. It is a goal I set for myself when I started as a student. In class, I try to always give my all and be the best. I started breaking boards before I needed to because I want to be good at taekwondo. I try to always be prepared and know the name of my form.   The instructors have taught me sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. When you lose, you cannot cry. When you lose, you need to 
try harder and harder until you win. They have helped me to learn to control my emotions and to focus when I am in front of people. They have taught me to use my brain and common sense. They have taught me to never ever ever give up. I want to encourage and 
support kids this way. I want to be able to coach kids and show them all the things I have learned. When you are a black belt, you know defense skills to protect yourself. The tenets are like life lessons. They teach you how to use your skills. They teach you to never use your skills to do bad things. You should only use you skills to do good things. They teach you to be a leader. Being a black belt means being a leader in all that you do. This means being respectful to others, being kind to others and helping others. I know I am only 8, but I am ready to challenge myself and one day be an instructor. My brother has told me that being a black belt and an instructor is hard work, but I know I can do it. Being a black belt is also fun. You get to do cool things. You get to stand in front of the class. You get to help with the other belts. The coolest of all is getting a belt and jacket with your name on it.  The best part about being a black belt is that I will be able to teach and encourage my little brother Vaughn just like my big brother CJ did me.  

Gabrielle Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment