Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Why I Want to Be a Black Belt: Rick Rizzo

Why I Want to Be a Black Belt: Rick Rizzo


My overall interest in Martial Arts began to develop in the early 1990’s as Royce Gracie began to gain exposure through the burgeoning UFC.  Royce is roughly my size and I watched him submit a much larger fighter via lapel choke while being held upside down.  What caught my attention was how knowing the right skills and how to apply them can neutralize and overcome disadvantages like size, strength and circumstance.  Now let’s fast forward 20 + years, now with two young children whom I steered to Taekwondo training beginning at age 4.  Watching them train, and more importantly watching the instructors re-lit the interest that was sparked back then.  The tipping point to my pursuit to become a Black Belt came when, as I have written before, our family decided to raise the level of training for our kids and came to Strickland’s Taekwondo.  After a short period of watching my son’s train with Mr. Strickland and the rest of the staff, I quickly decided to join in and now, almost three years, 157 classes, physical therapy, knee surgery and 14 belts later, I am on the verge of earning a probationary black belt.  But why go through all of this?  Why do I want to be a black belt?
As I looked internally, which I suppose is the purpose of this exercise, I came up with two main reasons for this pursuit.  Interestingly, neither has to do with what originally interested me…fighting.  My reasons can be classified as “internal” and “external.”  There are several reasons I am doing this for me and several reasons I am doing this for others.
I have three main internal reasons for why I want to become a black belt.  The first is finishing what I start, following through on my commitment.  This is somewhat oxymoronic as I have learned this is really just the very beginning which actually is exciting, challenging and motivating all at the same time!  Secondly, this is something I am hoping to do as long as I am physically able.  I really enjoy the fact that Taekwondo simultaneously provides high levels of both mental and physical challenge.  This is an excellent way for me to try to stay in shape while continuing to learn and grow in focus, discipline and execution.  Lastly, I really enjoy our environment and relationships I am developing at Strickland’s Taekwondo.  I am able to work with and learn from some really great people which is fun and rewarding as well!

Externally, my main driver for earning my black belt is to continue on in pursuit of my instructor collar.  I am excited about the prospect of working with children coming into the Taekwondo program.  I feel like I will be able to relate well to the challenge while transferring knowledge, tips and “tricks” that have been shared with me to help young students prepare, succeed, progress and stick with Taekwondo.  Additionally, I want to do this with and for my sons Trey and Trevor.  I hope to show them how to persist and push forward no matter the difficulty or challenges faced and the mental rewards that brings.  Lastly, I hold a thought of someday owning my own school with my sons.  I even have the name picked out already, “TNT TKD”.

No comments:

Post a Comment