Friday, October 23, 2015

Why I Want To Be A Black Belt: By Victor Mitranca

Why I Want To Be A Black Belt

I  am testing  for my  First  Degree  Black  Belt.  This  is  how  my  story began. I was seven years old when I wanted to do a sport. I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and told myself I wanted to be just  like them. I told my Mom  and Dad I wanted to  start taking  karate  or taekwondo.  We began to look foa place where classes were offered. One day,  my Dad was taking my sister to her dance class, and a building caught his eyes. The name on the building was Strickland's  Taekwondo! My Dad talked to my Mom,  and they agreed tlet  me take  classes. At  my first  class, I  felt  a  little nervous,  but when  it  started  I  said,  "This  is  the  place  for  me!"  When  I  first  started taekwondo,  there  were many ups  and downs. I took  classes twice  a week, Monday and Wednesday.

One of the obstacles I faced was my first class. Learning my form was difficult  because  I  would  confuse  my  rights  and  lefts.  Eventually,  I  was ready for my first testing, but I was so nervous that I forgot my form. This made me very scared, but my family and instructors boosted my confidence. I  passed  my  first  testing  and  received  my  Yellow  Belt!  It  was  a  smoothjourney.  Starting  with  Orange Belt  I  had  to  begin  sparring. Right  away, I was very frightened!  Back then, I was not as strong. At first, I was kicked in the head a couple of times. Testing for my Senior Orange Belt was different. The testing involved sparring.
Once I became a Brown Belt, it was time to break plastic boards. The breaking technique was an elbow strike and a side kick. I broke the plastic boards and before I knew it, I had tested for my Senior Red Belt. The time finally came when I became a Probationary Black Belt.
During this testing, I had to break wooden boards. I stood up in front of the  board  nervously;  I  picked  up  my  foot  and  broke the  board  in half. SMASH! I had just broken my first wooden board as a Probationary Black Belt.  Next  came  Recommended Black  Belt.  Although  I  did  my  form  and sparring  excellently,  I  was  unable  to  break  my  boards.  It  took  me  four attempts to gain the right motivation and strength I needed to earn my First Degree  Black  Belt.  Not  being  able  to  pass  my  testing  has  taught  me perseverance and the importance of never giving up.  It made me a stronger person and gave me a good life lesson.
Through   Taekwondo,   I  was  able  to  learn  5  words  that  have  changed my  attitude.  Courtesy,  to  me,  meanto  respect  myself  and  the  others  around me.  Integrity  means  to  be  loyal  to  the  people  who  sacrifice  so much  for  me. Perseverance,   to me,  means  to never  stop  trying  no  matter  how  bard  it might get.  Self-control   means   to  have  discipline   and  take  control   of  my  actions. Indomitable   spirit,  to me,  means  to have  faith  in myself  along  with  all  of the above.

During   these  past  years,   I  have  learned  that  Taekwondo   is  for  self• defense  only.  Taekwondo   has  taught  me  self-discipline  and  what  it means  to have  an  indomitable   spirit.  There  have  been  fin  games  and  activities   added in order  to teach  technique.


Throughout   this journey,   my  family  has  been  supporting  me,  each  and every   step  of  the  way.   They  have  taught   me  that   in  order  to  achieve   my dream  I  need  to  go  out  and  strive  to  be  the  best.  My  instructors   have  also played  an  important  role  in this journey   for me.  Mr.  Strickland  and  Mr.  Cain have  taught  me  valuable  lessons  that  I  can  use  for  the  rest  of my  life.  They have  taught   me  everything   I  needed   to  know   from  kicks   and  combos   to sparring    and    breaking    boards.    I   will    always    remember    my   time    at Strickland's   Taekwondo   as an important  part  of my  life.

No comments:

Post a Comment