Monday, October 19, 2015

Why I want to be a Black Belt – Megan Chionh

Why I want to be a Black Belt – Megan Chionh

I started Tae Kwon Do about 2 years ago because I watched my brother Cooper Chionh since he was five and a half, and it looked pretty cool.  I didn’t stay in very long because my parents pulled me out of Tae Kwon Do shortly after I started, because they felt that I wasn’t mature enough to take it seriously.  I couldn’t stop bugging my brother when we were in the same class, which was almost always.
I kept doing gymnastics, and other activities.  About six month later, they let me start again and this time, I stayed in.  It’s an important detail though, that I still bug my brother because it’s too much fun not too. 
There were times that I did complain too.  Like school days when I would tell my Dad I didn’t want to go, or I was too tired for Tae Kwon Do.  As soon as I got there, I had fun, and forgot how tired I was.  Cooper and I even joined the Demo Team last year, and we got to compete in Greensboro, and go to the beach after.
I want to be a black belt because I want to move up the ranks to be an instructor trainee like my brother Cooper.  I have a passion for teaching kids.  Make that “younger” kids.  I’ve been waiting for this moment since I started Tae Kwon Do all those years ago.
I’ve met so many friends on my journey, and there are just too many of you so I’m NOT GOING TO NAME ANY NAMES (Noah Kent, Natalie Campbell, Maddx, Roy, the Seastroms, and all the rest of you, I’m sure you all know who you are…).  You all made it so fun.
I believe it’s important for everyone to know martial arts or self-defense, especially for women. It’s a nice feeling to know that even when I’m alone out there, that if there’s anyone there that tries to hurt me, I CAN KICK THEIR STTUB! (Parent Note here:  She had me spell it backwards so it would be younger kid friendly.  Her idea totally.)
Training to be a black belt helped me have confidence in myself, and to know that I can do anything.  Nowadays, when I watch movies and I see the actors perform martial arts, it reminds me that I can do that one day too!
Tae Kwon Do helps keep my body healthy and strong.  I try to live the tenets of Tae Kwon Do, which are Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Indomitable Spirit.  I don’t always make it, especially self-control, but I try.
I want to thank Mr. Strickland, especially for working with me this testing week, to help me get my last stripe, and prepare for testing.  Thanks to Mr. Strickland, Mr. Cain, Mrs. Dick, and all the other instructors and instructor trainees who have helped me get where I am today.
Becoming a black belt isn’t easy, but it’s fun.  My journey will not end with becoming a black belt this Saturday.  It will only have started again.  That’s why I want to be a black belt.


No comments:

Post a Comment